January 15, 2013

The Best Book of 2012 or why this author owes my family an apology.


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
 That's right, a YA book is the best book of 2012...and why not.  It is simple, beautiful, has unforgettable characters, and will leave your heart gaping open.  I couldn't put this down.  Yes, John Green you are the reason my children and husband were neglected for a time.  One of the coolest things about this book is one of my favorite students EVER suggested it to me.  I love that.  Once again proving that kids today are amazing.  I think we liked this book about a terminally ill girl not because it was gut wrenchingly sad (which at times it was) but because it was gut wrenchingly beautiful and full of dreams and friendship and hope and love.  



Why all the hype.  Why is it TIME's #1 Fiction book of 2012, listed by Entertainment Weekly as a MUST Read, Amazon's Best book of January 2012, and a starred review from Booklist?  Well, simply put it's about Hazel.  A girl with cancer that will not get better.  She is in a slight remission due to a miracle drug.  She is depressed because she is going to die.  So her mom makes her go to a cancer support group with other kids.  There she meets Augustus.  A boy with a story and a smile.  From there it's just...magic.

 See, the summary doesn't do it justice.  It doesn't.  I've had meals that sound more interesting than this.  But the bottom line is, read it.  It rivals my love of The Absolute True Diary of a Part Time Indian, that says a lot.

Next time...Origin by Jessica Khoury...

No comments: